Traditional Irish Wheaten Bread
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
- Grease a 1lb loaf tin
- Weigh out wholemeal and turn into a bowl. Sieve flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar and add to wholemeal, mix with buttermilk to form a medium stiff dough.
- Generously sprinkle your baking board with wholemeal and turn out the dough and shape into a thick round with your hands.
- Place in a 7" or 8" loaf tin, mark into quarters, sprinkle with wholemeal and bake in centre of hot oven 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6 for 50-60 minutes.
NOTE: The same ingredients are suitable for wheaten farls.
- 350g/12oz Neill's Medium Wholemeal Flour
- 75g/4oz Neill's Golden Fleece Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- ½pt/284ml Buttermilk