White Farmhouse Cob
- Put the flour and the salt in a bowl and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the yeast and the milk to get a soft dough.
- Turn on to a lightly floured work surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Put in a clean bowl and cover with cling film. Stand in a warm place for 1 hour to rise.
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7 and put a roasting tin in the bottom to heat up.
- Turn the dough on to the floured work surface again and mould into a round cob shape, slash the top with a knife.
- Fill the roasting tin in the bottom of the oven with hot water: this will create steam and give the crust a light but crisp finish.
- Bake the bread in the centre of the oven until golden and risen, about 30-40 minutes. The base of the loaf should sound hollow when you tap it. Turn on to a wire rack to cool.
- 500g Neill's Strong White Bread Flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1x 7g sachet of dried fast action yeast
- 300ml slightly warmed milk
- 30g butter