Coconut Bundt Cake
This is a wonderful classic bundt cake with a twist, the addition of coconut yoghurt and toasted coconut brings a tropical flavour into the cake.
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Cream the butter and 300g of the sugar (keep the other 100g of the sugar aside for later) until smooth.
- Beat in the egg yolks (leave the egg whites aside for later) one at a time until well combined. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Remove the cake mix from the mixer bowl and place into another large bowl, set this aside.
- Ensure the mixer bowl and attachments are washed well and add the egg whites to the bowl.
- Beat the egg whites on medium/high speed until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the remaining 100g of sugar to the egg whites and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Set these egg whites aside for a few minutes.
- In another large bowl sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Fold the flour into the cake batter mixture until combined.
- Fold the coconut yoghurt into the cake batter mixture until well combined.
- Now fold the egg whites into the cake batter mixture but do this gently so as not to knock out too much of the air. We need this to make the cake nice and light.
- Pour the cake batter mixture into the greased bundt tin and ensure it is spread evenly around the edges.
- Place in the middle of the preheated oven and bake for 50-55 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 mins before attempting to turn out. Leave to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Mix up the icing by combining the icing sugar and water in a bowl, in theory this is just going to act as a glue. Set this aside for a moment.
- In a small skillet or frying pan add the coconut and place on a low heat. Using a spatula keep turning the coconut ensuring you leave none unturned. Gradually you will see the coconut turn a golden brown. This can take a few minutes so do not get impatient and turn the heat up too high as it will burn very quickly.
- Using the icing you made earlier paint this all over the cooled cake using a pastry brush and immediately sprinkle the toasted coconut on top.
Recipe created by Baking Bar
More recipes available at bakingbar.co.uk
- 440g NEILL'S® Plain Flour
- 6 Eggs (whites and yolks separated)
- 400g Caster Sugar
- 260g Butter
- 260g Coconut Yoghurt
- 2tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 0.25tsp Salt
- 150g Icing Sugar
- 3tbsp Warm Water
- 100g Desiccated Coconut