Banana Crumb Muffins
Preparation time:40 minutes
Makes: 15 Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and lemon zest.
- Mash the bananas together until smooth then stir into the flour mixture with the melted butter.
- Add the milk and beaten eggs to the bowl and stir until just mixed together. Do not over mix as this will make the muffins 'heavy'
- Line a 12-hole large muffin tray with paper muffin cases. Divide the mixture between the holes, reserving the remaining mixture to be cooked later.
- In a small bowl, rub the remaining butter, flour and cinnamon together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the demerara sugar.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top of the muffins and cook them in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove the tray from the oven and leave the muffins to cool in the tray for at least 5 minutes. Then transer the muffins to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Then repeat with the remaining butter and crumb mixture until all the mixture is cooked
- 225g Neill's self-raising flour
- 5ml spoon (level) baking bowder
- 5ml spoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 85g caster sugar
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 medium ripe bananas, peeled
- 115g butter, melted
- 175ml milk
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
For the crumb topping
- 15g butter
- 25g Neill's plain flour
- pinch of ground salt
- 15g demerara sugar
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- measuring jug
- measuring spoons
- small grater
- muffin tray
- muffin cases
- cooling rack
- oven gloves