Preparation time:1 hour 10 minutes
Makes: 1 x 25cm diameter cake
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4.
- Grease and line the cake tin and put to one side.
- Beat the eggs with the honey and oil in a small bowl.
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar and spice.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and add the honey, oil and eggs.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda into the orange juice and add it to the mixture.
- Mix well with the wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin. Make sure it is only about half way up the tin, as it will need plenty of room to rise.
- Using oven gloves, place the tin in the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes.
- After baking, cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire cooling rack.
- 175g Neill's self-raising flour
- 75g soft brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 225g clear honey
- 1.5 tsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75ml orange juice
- Deep 22-25cm diameter cake tin
- greaseproof paper
- small bowl
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- measuring jug
- measuring spoons
- oven gloves
- cooling rack