Creamy Cauliflower in a Really Cheesy Sauce
One of my all time favourite vegetable dishes.
The secret lies in a good smooth sauce to top the lightly steamed cauliflower and topped with buttered crumbs or crispy bacon.
- Blend together in a saucepan the Neills sifted plain flour, pinch of salt and pepper, softened fat, milk and grated cheese.
- Mix well together until smooth before turning on the heat.
- Bring up to boiling point and simmer gently for 1 minute until the starch grains in the flour burst. Abstract the liquid and thicken the sauce.
- Place the lightly steamed cauliflower in an oven proof dish, top with sauce, sprinkle with lightly buttered crumbs or crispy bacon. Flash below a really hot grill until bubbling and golden. Serve.
- It's as quick as that to make a good smooth, cheesy sauce.
To Serve on top
- 4 dsp breadcrumbs lightly tossed in melted butter or fat and a pinch of mixed herbs OR
- 50g/2oz cooked shredded bacon
- 50g/2oz Neills Sifted Golden Fleece Plain Flour
- 1 cauliflower – cut into florets and lightly steamed for 7-8 minutes)
- 570ml/1pt milk – slightly warm or bring to room temperature
- 75g/3oz grated cheese
- 25g/1oz softened fat
- Pinch of salt and black pepper