Crunchy Coffee Muffins
Here's a basic muffin recipe which I vary depending on what happens to be in the cupboards.
The secret of any muffin mixture is not to over beat but rather to bind the ingredients together, it only takes minutes. Make with coffee, chocolate or maple syrup.
- Sieve the Neills Plain Flour and mix all the dry ingredients together, then add the coffee.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg, milk, melted butter and mix gently into the dry ingredients. Do not beat.
- Transfer to individual muffin tins and bake at 190˚C/375˚F or Gas Mark 5 for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold, dusted with icing sugar.
- 25g/1oz Neill's Wholemeal Flour
- 170g/6oz Neill's Golden Fleece Plain Flour
- 55g/2oz caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- 200ml/7oz milk
- 85g/3oz melted butter
- 4 dsp fair-trade coffee (mixed with 2 dsp of water)