Fresh Seasonal Berry Sponge
Quick, light, no fat sponge lightened with whisking and sieved flour. Almost a quick one stage cake that can be split and filled. The fruit can be added to the cake during baking or used to sandwich together with the yoghurt.
- Cooking time 12-15 minutes. Oven temp 200ºC/ Gas mark 6.
- Beat the eggs and caster sugar together until light, fluffy approx 6-7 minutes. Lightly sift the flour into the mixture and fold it through using a metal spoon. Pour into either 1 or 2 tins lined with greaseproofing paper and sprayed with a light no calorie cooking spray
- Bake the cakes until golden brown and springy. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- When cool mix together the fromage frais, lemon, icing sugar and chopped fruit. Use to sandwich the cakes together and serve.
- 75g/3oz Neill's plain flour
- 75g/3oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemon zest only
- 200g/8oz berries seasonal.
- Raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
- 125ml/ ¼ pint fromage frais/ low fat or no fat yoghurt
- 25g/1oz icing sugar
- 4-6 sprigs of mint