- Prepare an 8" or 9" cake tin. Line with 3 layers of grease proof paper and cover the outside with two layers of brown paper bringing both up at least 1" above the tin.
- Sieve together all the dry ingredients. Cream butter, sugar and treacle
- Beat together lightly with eggs, brandy and essence.
- Add eggs and flour mixture alternately to the creamed butter.
- Lastly add fruit and grated rind. This mixture should be stiff enough to drop from wooden spoon in one piece when spoon is held over the bowl and given a sharp shake.
- Turn into the prepared tin and make good depression in the centre and cover top with grease proof paper.
- Place in centre of oven 170°C (325°F/ gas mark 3) for 1¼ hours, then turn to 140°C (275°F/gas mark 1) for approximately 3 hours.
- Cool in the baking tin and when cold turn out and store in air tight container
- 350g/12oz Neill's Golden Fleece Flour
- 350g/12oz Currants
- 275g/10oz Butter
- 225g/8oz Soft Brown Sugar
- 225g/8oz Raisins
- 225g/8oz Sultanas
- 125g/4oz Mixed Peel
- 125g/4oz Glace Cherries
- 50g/2oz Chopped Blanched Almonds (optional)
- 50g/2oz Ground Almonds
- 30ml/2 tablespoons brandy, rum, sherry or milk
- 15ml/1tsp Black Treacle
- 5m/1tsp Baking powder
- 2ml/ ½ tsp Salt
- 2ml/ ½ tsp each Mixed Spice, grated nutmeg and cinnamon
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 5 Large Eggs
- Finely Grated rind of a lemon or orange