Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6.
For the pastry:
- Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine crumbs
- Add the beaten egg and a little chilled water to make a soft but not sticky dough. This can be done in a food processor.
- Wrap in Clingfilm and chill in the fridge.
For the filling:
- Place the fruit, sugar, apples, water, cinnamon, mixed spices, lemon rind and juice into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend the cornflour with a little water and add to the fruit, cook until thick then leave to cool.
- Divide the pastry sheet into two even size pieces, roll each piece out to fit a swiss roll tin.
- Place one pastry sheet on the swiss roll tin and spread the cooled mixture on top, cover with the second piece of pastry.
- Brush with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, leave to cool and cut into squares or fingers.
- 110g (4oz) Neill's Golden Fleece Plain Flour
- 110g (4oz) Neill's wholemeal flour
- 175g (6oz) Butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 Medium egg
- Chilled water
- 225g (8oz) Mixed dried fruit
- 250ml (½pt) Water
- 1 Teasp cinnamon
- 1 Teasp mixed spices
- 1 Desertsp cornflour
- 1 Bramley apple
- 1 Lemon rind and juice
- 75g (3oz) Sugar