The basic sauce:
- Melt the butter and add the flour. Cook over a medium heat until golden, 3-5 minutes.
- In a separate pan bring to the boil the milk, cream, bay leaf, shallot and cloves.
- Remove from heat and slowly add the butter and flour beating it into the roux.
- Cook out for 10 minutes and season with sea salt and Dijon mustard.
Putting it all together:
- Cut cauliflower into florets.
- Splash of rapeseed oil and butter, when butter is melted add fennel seeds to temper for 30 seconds. Add cauliflower and sauté until golden brown and starting to soften.
- Stir half the cheese through the béchamel sauce and add to the cauliflower.
- Check seasoning and place in gratin dish with the remaining cheese and place under a hot grill until golden brown.
Check out our video for a step-by-step guide to this recipe: ‘Not your normal’ Cauliflower Cheese