A great Two-Fruit Christmas Cake packed with flavour, spices and best of all economy. This wonderful cake only contains cherries and sultanas yet is full of flavour for any time of the year but especially great at Christmas. If liked an extra 200 g (8 oz) of nuts, apricots and dried cranberries can also be added. If using gluten free flour increase the quantity of ground almonds to 200 g (8 oz).
- Clean the sultanas by washing and drying well. Wash and chop the cherries in half, and dry well.
- Steep overnight the dried fruits in a little sherry or brandy.
- Cream the butter and soft brown sugar until light and fluffy, then alternately add the lightly beaten eggs, flour, and almonds, in three additions. (Always sieve the flour before adding). Add the lemon rind and mixed spices, and finally the sultanas and cherries, use a little milk to adjust the consistency.
- Transfer to a well-lined 230 mm / 9 inch cake tin and bake at 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4 for a ½ hour. Reduce to 150°C / 300°F / Gas Mark 2 until cooked (approximately 1–1½ hours).
- Decorate simply with candied Cranberries & holly leaves, dusted with icing sugar.